Warming Harira Soup with Kenwood Chef
In partnership with Kenwood
This is my second recipe in collaboration with Kenwood, who have challenged me to get creative in the kitchen using the Kenwood Chef, a must-have for all you foodies as it allows you to have new culinary adventures with its selection of over 25 attachments, including pasta rollers and cutters, juicers, food processor attachment, blender and ice cream maker.
Today’s recipe is all about being inspired by African flavours, which I absolutely love.
I decided to make a deliciously spiced soup/Stew flavoured with aromatic spices like cumin, ginger and cinnamon – Perfectly warming for this time of year. This is my version of a Moroccan Harira Soup which is a tasty mix of beautifully spiced pulses and grains. It’s really delicious and super healthy as it contains lots of vegetables, lentils, rice and chickpeas – lots of healthy plant based proteins.
I love using the Kenwood Chef for whipping up pancakes, cakes etc but it’s also super convenient to use the attachments like the mini chopper to create flavoursome pastes as the base for curries, soups and stews. That’s what I did here to create a flavoursome paste as the base of my soup – a mix of spices and garlic with a big handful of aromatic coriander.
This soup is the kind of one pot complete meal I love, it’s so easy to make and tastes delicious. I hope you love it too.
The Kenwood Chef represents the very best of Kenwood design and engineering. This specific product has been chosen for the masterclass as it allows you to create restaurant quality food with simplicity and versatility at home.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped finely
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- A bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 vine tomatoes roughly chopped
- 4 cups veg stock
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1 can of organic chickpeas, rinsed
- A squeeze of 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Big twist black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Big handful chopped coriander
- Add the onion and celery to a large pan with the olive oil and sauté for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Add in the spices, garlic & coriander to the mini chopper glass bowl. Blitz for 1-2 minute on speed 6 until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the paste to the pan and fry for a minute or so until aromatic. Add the chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Thoroughly wash & drain the lentils and rice then add them to the mix. Next add the veg stock and simmer covered for 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the drained chickpeas, lemon juice and season well. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally add a big handful of chopped coriander.
- Serve with flatbreads