Squash tagine with cauliflower rice and herby tahini dressing
I’m a big fan of North African cuisine but maybe you wouldn’t have guessed it from all the Indian curries on my blog! They are my first love of course, but the spicy and sweet flavours of North African dishes are beautifully complex and fragrant and not to be missed.
So I thought it was about time I posted my squash & chickpea tagine recipe which is just bursting with lovely fresh & fragrant spices, sweet apricots, lots of veg and then topped with my super green and herby tahini dressing.
It’s super simple to make, that’s the beauty if one pot cooking. My tagine can be made more spicy if you wish by adding more chilli flakes. I really like adding a big squeeze of lemon or lime to make all the flavours sing.
I served my tagine with cauliflower rice but it’s great on its own, with rice, flatbreads or with a big crunchy slaw.
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped roughly
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into chunk
- 1/2 cup organic chopped dried apricots
- 1 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- Juice 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Twist black pepper
- 1 can organic chickpeas
- Tahini dressing;
- Handful – Coriander & mint
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice 1 lemon
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Cauliflower rice
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and heat to low/medium then add the chopped onion.
- Fry your onion for aprox 10 minutes until soft and browning
- Add in the garlic and spices and stir for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomato purée, veg stock, apricots and the chopped veg. Simmer for aprox 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Finally add the chickpeas, lemon juice salt and pepper to season.
- Top with the pomegranate seeds and drizzle with tahini dressing and coriander.
- To make make the tahini dressing;
- Add all the ingredients to a mini chopper or pestle and mortar and blitz until you get a paste. Add more water to get the deserved consistency.