Salted Caramel Pecan Pie (Vegan and Gluten Free)
I’m laid up on the sofa at the moment after twisting my ankle running in a 10k race yesterday – it’s really hard for me to sit still and the thought of not being able to exercise for a while is a bit stressful for me! On the upside its means I’ve got time to write up this recipe – and it’s a goodie!
Ok so this is a bit of a decadently indulgent dessert for me but you when you’ve been thinking about something for a while.. Namely salted caramel – I just had to create a salted caramel dessert.
So here it is my salted caramel pecan pie.. A gorgeous crust made from pecans, raw cacao, coconut flakes and of course medjool dates to stick everything together.
I love the combination of sweet and salty it’s incredibly moorish and this salted caramel filling is so good! It would also be amazing spooned over nice cream – yum!
I decided to top my pie with caramelised pecans and walnuts for a delicious crunch. But you could top with fresh fruit and that would be delicious too and I little lighter.
This may be a rich dessert and would be perfect for a dinner party served with vegan icecream but it’s also completely vegan and naturally sweetened by the dates and protein packed from the delicious nuts.
I love this one so I would love to hear what you think…
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- Crust ingredients;
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flakes – I used coconut merchant
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp organic peanut butter
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 8 medjool dates
- Pinch salt
- Caramel layer;
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 2 tbsp peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil – I used coconut merchant
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 cup mixed nuts and seeds – I used pecans, walnuts and sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- To make the crust add the pecans to your food processor or high speed blender and blitz until you get a crumb. Add in the rest of the crust ingredients and blitz again until everything comes together.
- Press the crumbly mixture into your pie tin with your hands then pipit into the freezer while you mane the caramel. I used a 10 inch pie tin.
- Wash out your mixer and add in the caramel ingredients. Blitz until smooth and creamy – it will be a few minutes before all the dates are thoroughly blended in.
- Dollop the caramel on the base and smooth out. Return to the freezer for at least 1 hr to firm up.
- Caramelise the nuts by adding the coconut oil, maple syrup and coconut sugar to a small pan and heating on a low heat until everything combines. Add in the nuts and seeds and toss thoroughly so that they are well coated.
- Cook for a few minutes until caramelised and nice and toasted. Allow to cool.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and top with the caramelised nuts.
- Store in the freezer.