Quick Harissa Lentils with Roast Squash and Tahini Dressing
I love cooking and eating, trying new foods and eating really well but like most people I dont have much time to cook for hours every evening. So I’m pretty happy to use some healthy cheats like good quality organic jarred and canned pulses (in water) sometimes. What do I have in my cupboard? Chickpeas, lots of beans, green lentils and puy lentils. You can get them at most supermarkets now, plus I think Merchant Gourmet do a good quality range of pre-cooked pulses which means you can literally have a healthy and filling base for a meal in minutes.
This is one of my easy and quick(ish) after work meals. I say quickish because you have to roast the squash but it’s just a matter of chopping and popping in the oven for 40 minutes or so (which gives me time to do some exercise or catch up with some house or blog stuff).
Then all you need to do is fry some onion, garlic and spices then add in the pre cooked lentils and viola! Topped with the delicious roast squash, fresh tahini dressing and toasted pine nuts makes a super nutritious and tasty meal.
An additional consideration at the moment is that I’m trying to incorporate more plant based proteins and fats into our evening meals as Andy is training really hard at the moment and is keen to eat more protein. So I’m including the usual suspects; pulses, nuts and seeds, avocado etc. Watch this space as I might need to be a bit more creative! Any tips would be gratefully received guys! xx
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1 small organic butternut squash chopped into cubes
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 can of organic pre cooked green lentils (or cook 1 cup as per cooking instructions)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Harissa paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Handful green olives
- Handful toasted pine nuts
- Tahini dressing
- To roast the squash; Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas Mark 7
- Add your squash with the olive oil and salt & pepper. Spread out on a roasting tray.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes , until the squash is crisp and has turned golden brown.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and heat to low/medium then add the chopped onion.
- Fry your onion for aprox 10 minutes until soft and browning.
- Add in the garlic, cumin seeds, paprika and Harissa and stir for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cooked lentils, olives and red wine vinegar and stir to combine and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper then pop into two books. Top with the roast squash and drizzle with tahini dressing and toasted pine nuts.