Creamy Parsnip and Rosemary Soup (Vegan)
It’s definitely getting to be soup weather and I’m always looking for new flavour conbinations, this one is a bit of a classic though. Roast parsnip, rosemary and garlic, really simple yet such a lovely combination of flavours, especially when topped with crunchy toasted hazelnuts.
I absolutely love adding a crunch to soups as although I really like the warming smoothness of a hearty soup I still like to add a bit of texture. The hazelnuts also add some fantastic plant based protein to keep you fuller for longer.
I went along to an amazing bread making class at The Jamie Oliver Cooking School on Sunday for a fantastic bread making course. I learnt loads as although I’m a dab hand at flatbreads I’m not that confident with yeasty breads. We made simple white rolls (to go with the pumpkin soup we scoffed drown at the end), focaccia and my favourite a wholemeal breakfast loaf stuffed with caramelised onions and toasted hazelnuts – amazing!
The lucky thing is I’ve still got some left and it’s the perfect soup dipper! I’ve got to try and recreate it, with my own inclusions. Hmmm I’m thinking; sundried tomato, olives, hummus maybe.. super yum!
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 500 grams organic parsnips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 pints veg stock – I used Kallo veg stock
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 50 grams hazelnuts
- Chop up the parsnips and add the to a baking tray with the olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat and the roast for 40 mins on a medium heat.
- Fry the chopped onion in a large saucepan on a low heat for aprox 8 minutes until soft and browning. Add the garlic and rosemary and for a further few minutes.
- Add the roasted parsnips and 1 pint of veg stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blitz with a hand blender or transfer to your food processor to blitz then pour back into the saucepan.
- Stir in the coconut cream and season generously.
- Quicly toast the hazelnuts in a dry pan on a medium heat for a few minutes until starting to brown.
- Top with the hazelnuts and springs of rosemary