Yummy Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
These healthy banana buckwheat pancakes are my husband’s favourite, so I made them this morning for a special Valentine’s day breakfast in bed. I can understand why he loves them so much, they are really delicious, gooey and feel decedent despite being really healthy. Plus what can beat the banana / nut butter combination?
The pancakes are an adaptation of my usual savoury pancake recipe. They are super simple to make, just add a mashed banana and use coconut oil rather than olive oil to give the pancakes a sweeter, slightly coconuty flavour.
These buckwheat pancakes are gluten free, and a great source of plant protein, antioxidants, minerals and soluble dietary fibre.
- 1 banana mashed
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- 1/2 cup water
- Nut butter (I like Meridian Foods almond or peanut butter)
- Maple syrup
- Preheat a pan with a little coconut oil. The pan needs to be quite hot around Gas Mark 6.
- Add the buckwheat flour, banana, almond essence & water to a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine and form a thick batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes until the underside is firm. Carefully flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute or so until the pancakes are cooked through and slightly golden.
- My favourite topping are nut butter, banana and maple syrup.