Vegan Spelt Pizza with Spinach Pesto and Cashew Cheese
So I’m home alone this weekend as my husband is in Manchester again learning how to be a Yoga teacher, I actually can’t wait until he’s qualified – I’m thinking my own personal yoga teacher, happy days!
That’s why I’m writing this and watching Orange is the new Black at the same time – which is proving slightly difficult as I’m getting really sucked in. I’m loving it, only on episode 4 but I’m hooked!
Just paused it, so back to the Pizza recipe. I love using different grains to make flatbreads and pizza bases, the base here is a mix of spelt flour and organic plain flour and it works really well. I usually use just spelt or buckwheat however I find that a 100% spelt/buckwheat base is sometimes a little bit crispy so adding the plain flour makes it more doughy.
My pizza is topped with dollops of cashew cheese which I’m very excited to have made for the first time! It was much easier than I anticipated and the results were great. The secret ingredient is nutritional yeast flakes which gives it a ‘cheesy’ flavour. I’ve got to admit I couldn’t find nutritional yeast in the supermarket but there is a huge selection on Amazon (if I’m struggling to find a more unusual ingredient I can usually get it from Amazon. In fact I ordered some Rice Malt Syrup this morning as it’s a key ingredient for making some of the desserts in an amazing new app I’ve discovered called ‘Hippie Lane’, I can’t wait to try some).
In terms of other toppings, I used my usual tomato sauce (see ingredients) but also added delicious spinach pesto which adds loads of flavour and vibrant colour. You can of course top your pizza with your favourite toppings but I’ve used; olives, cherry tomatoes and rocket leaves. So good!
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup organic plain flour
- 1 tsp quick yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- Sprinkle chilli flakes
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 cup basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Sundried tomatoes
- Cashew cheese
- Handful rocket leaves
- To make the pizza base, mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add the oil and water. Combine to form a dough and then knead for 5-10 minutes until silky (add more flour if sticky). Place in a bowl, cover and leave for 35 minutes
- To make the tomato sauce, add the onions and oil to a saucepan and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Next add the tomatoes and turn up the heat for a couple of minutes. Turn down the heat a little and simmer for 20 minutes until reduced down.
- To make the spinach pesto. Pop all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz.
- When the dough is ready. Spread it out onto a baking tray, pressing it into the sides. Top with the tomato sauce and bake for 20 minutes on Gas mark 6/400F
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the spinach pesto, cashew cheese, rocket, olives, sundried tomatoes and any additional topping!