Vegan Pizza with Buckwheat & Chia crust
This buckwheat chia pizza is so good! It’s full of flavour and is packed full of healthy plant based proteins such as buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts and super healthy and fibre filled chia seeds.
The buckwheat base is delicious, nutty and wholesome, did you know that buckwheat is actually a seed and has more protein than grains such as rice and wheat plus its naturally high in essential amino acids. And as an added bonus it’s gluten free.
I have created two delicious vegan toppings for my pizza’s;
Fresh tomato pizza – a classic fresh tomato sauce topped with mushrooms, olives, asparagus and rocket.
Super green pizza – spinach and basil cashew pesto with cherry tomatoes, charred peppers and rocket.
However the great thing about homemade pizza is that you can add your own favourite toppings!
- ¼ cup chia seeds (whole)
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tbsp. buckwheat flour (gluten free)
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Tomato sauce (1 sliced onion, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 clove garlic, 3 fresh tomatoes roughly chopped – fry the onion for 5 minutes until tender, grate in the garlic, cook for a further 30 seconds then add in the tomatoes. Cook for 30 minutes, add a little water if it gets too dry).
- 1 cup of rocket
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- Char grilled asparagus
- 1/2 cup olives
- Green sauce (1/4 cup cashews, 1/2 cup basil, 2 cups spinach, juice of 1/2 lemon, salt & pepper, 4 tbsp. olive oil – Blitz in a food processor until smooth)
- 1/2 cup cherry chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup rocket
- 1 cup char grilled peppers
- Combine chia seeds, water, buckwheat flour, herbs & salt and mix well until the mixture starts to thicken up.
- Add chopped pine nuts and pumpkin seeds and stir well.
- Divide in 2 and spread out the base mix on a piece of baking paper and form the dough in a round shapes. Flatten to about 1 cm for a firm thin crust.
- Bake at Gas mark 4/350°F for 30 aprox minutes until firm.
- Remove from oven and add toppings of your choice and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with rocket before serving.