Vegan Chickpea and Butternut Squash Pizza
This is my new recipe for vegan chickpea flour pizza with spinach pesto and roasted butternut squash and it’s so good.
As you probably know I love using buckwheat and regularly use it to make quick flatbreads and pizza bases. So I thought I’d mix it up by using chickpea flour instead. If you haven’t tried chickpea (gram) flour before this recipe is a brilliant one to test it out as its really easy and quick to make. I think it’s best to make a pancake like batter to make the flatbread base as chickpea flour is a little drier than other grains. I therefore made the bases using exactly the same principle as my buckwheat pancakes.
My toppings today are super healthy and delicious spinach pesto with roast butternut squash, onions and rosemary – mainly because our spinach is getting ever bigger in the garden and I need to eat the butternut squash in the next day or so as we’ll be away for most of the weekend again. These chickpea flour bases would also be delicious with a more traditional tomato sauce and lots of veggies, other pesto combinations, hummus, fresh tomatoes and olives or mushrooms fried in olive oil and lots of garlic!
Note on cooking the bases – I bought a small ‘green pan’ last week on my friends recommendation and it’s brilliant! Perfect for making pancakes and flatbreads with no sticking at all. A great purchase.
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1/2 small butternut squash spiced into thin wedges
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 springs rosemary
- Splash olive oil
- 1 cup chickpea (gram) flour
- 1 cup water
- Splash olive oil
- Pink salt and pepper
- Spinach pesto
- Heat your oven to a medium heat and then pop the squash, onions and rosemary onto a tray and the toss in olive oil. Roast for aprox 1 hr until cooked through and turning brown.
- To make the chickpea flour bases, add the flour, oil, water, salt and pepper to a bowl and then mix thoroughly to combine. Pour half the mix into a hot skillet and cook for a few minutes until you can see bubbles coming to the surface. The flatbread should then come away easily. Flip and cook on the other side for a few minutes.
- Top the pizzas with the spinach pesto, roast butternut squash and onions,