Tomato Curry, Roast Veg and Turmeric Hummus
It feels like an age since my last blog post so apologies! I’ve been super busy with work, studying and enjoying myself on a Caribbean cruise and then Barcelona for the weekend. All super exciting and it has inspired me to create some new dishes. I can’t wait to start playing around with some coconutty tropical flavours.
I made this delicious tomato curry with roast veg and turmeric humms before I left for the Caribbean as a quick lunch. I basically wanted to use up everything I had in my fridge and as I had lots of veg I decided to roast everything and serve it with a quick tomato curry on a bed of spiced turmeric hummus. I used cauliflower (my favourite), fennel, beetroots and peppers but you could use whatever you have to hand. But I do think the peppery fennel combines really well with the other flavours.
The tomato curry is super simple to make and can be whipped up in max 15 minutes and is really lovely with quinoa & salad. Or like here, on a bed of hummus with some crunchy veg which I scooped up with flatbreads. Delicious tomatoey goodness.
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 2 onions – roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 inch knob ginger – grated
- 5 organic tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 0rganic cauliflower sliced
- 1 head organic fennel sliced
- 2 organic beetroots washed & chopped
- 2 organic peppers – red & yellow sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt, black pepper, chilli flakes, cumin seeds.
- 1 can/pack of organic chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbsp. organic tahini
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
To make the tomato curry;
- Add the coconut oil to a large frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Add in the asafoetida and mustard seeds. When they start to pop add in the cumin seeds and chilli flakes. Stir for a few seconds then add in the onion. Fry for aprox 8-10 minutes until soft and browning.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and stir for another few minutes, then add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for a further 5-6 minutes then add 120ml of water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
To make the roast veg;
- Slice the veg then add to a large baking tray (you may need two), coat in the olive oil, spices, salt & pepper.
- Roast on a medium heat for aprox 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Tip the organic chickpeas in the your blender.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and olive oil.
- Blitz until smooth and creamy (aprox 2 minutes), add a little water to loosen.
- Season to taste & add the turmeric and blitz again.