Spicy Beans with Leftover Roast Potatoes
My second recipe for using up leftover veg is delicious organic roast potatoes with spicy beans. When I cook roast potatoes and veg I always do a massive batch so that I can eat them the next day for lunch or dinner. Either as a cold salad with lots of raw veg or as a side with curries and dahls.
One of my favourite savoury breakfasts is baked beans on toast so I thought the combination of leftover roast potatoes and deliciously spicy beans would be a lovely warming and nourishing winter brunch. Both can be made ahead and then heated up when you want to eat them which I love.
Compared to shop bought baked beans which contain refined sugar my homemade version have only natural sweetness from a dash of authentic maple syrup, they’re super healthy and packed with flavour. They can be eaten in tons of ways; with roast potatoes and some sautéed greens like I have here, on some toast with some mashed up avocado, with some quiona or rice or with a jacket potato for a tasty, hearty and healthy meal.
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- Leftover roast potatoes
- Paste ingredients;
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/2 tsp ancho chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 organic plum tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Good punch sea salt
- 2 tins organic cannelloni beans
- 1 can organic red kidney beans
- Make a paste by adding all the ingredients into a mini chopper or food processor to blitz to a paste.
- Add the paste a large saucepan with 1 tbsp olive oil, fry for 4-5 minutes on a medium heat Add in the tomatoes, water, balsamic, maple syrup, tamari, and salt and simmer for 10 minutes then add in the beans.
- Simmer for a minimum of 10 minutes – the longer you simmer the more developed the flavour with become.
- Great with leftover roast potatoes.