Seasonal Vegetable Risotto with Tenderstem and Toasted Hazelnuts
This is the second recipe inspired by my farm visit to MWW as guest of the Coop. A day spent in the Worcester countryside visiting fields of fresh and vibrant vegetables.
You can find more details here about the wonderful day I spent at MWW trying their fantastic fresh seasonal veg here
But I was lucky enough to leave with a veg box full to the brim with fresh vegs including; tenderstem broccoli, string beans, courgette and pak choi which inspired me to make a comforting seasonal veg Risotto, with string beans and courgette, tomatoes and lots of nutritional yeast for a fantastic cheesey flavour.
This dish is comforting and warming – perfect for the start of September when its getting chillier. But still super healthy with all the greens and B vitamins from the nutritional yeast.
As a very happy accident I turned off the heat and popped the lid on the pan while I stir fried the tenderstem broccoli and toasted the hazelnuts and I’m so glad I did! As I got a super soft, gooey and cheesy Risotto.
I really hope you enjoy this. Thank you again to MWW and the Coop for the fantastic fresh seasonal veg which inspired ths.
- 200g aborio rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped roughly
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 3 tbsp white wine
- 2 pints organic tomato/veg stock
- 2 plum tomotoes chopped
- 75g String beans
- 1/2 Courgette chopped
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- Lots of Black pepper
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Handful rocket
- 3 tbsp toasted hazelnuts
- 125g tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
To make the risotto;
- Add the oil to a large pan (with a lid) on a low to medium heat then add in the chopped onions. Fry for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Next add the garlic and fry for a minute then add rice and stir for a minute then add in the wine. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add 2 ladle fulls of stock at a time until all the liquid is absorbed. Add the chopped tomatoes and string beans & courgette.
- When the rice is nearly the consistency you like it add in the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and stir well.
- You can eat at this stage or if you want a super gooey, soft and comforting Risotto turn off the heat and pop the lid on and let it sit for 10 -15 minutes while you make the stir fried broccoli.
To make the tenderstem broccoli;
- Add the oil to a medium frying pan, add the tenderstem and fry for a few minutes until firm but tender.
- Season well.