Satisfying Lentil Soup with Spinach
I really love this satisfying lentil dhal soup – It’s so delicious and wholesome, I’m sure you’ll love it too.
I love the creamy, soothing lentils combined with the earthy spinach and slightly sharp lemon, then topped with a dollop of creamy coconut yogurt to give the soup extra richness. I like to sprinkle with extra chilli flakes on top (I usually add chilli flakes at the end as I like really spicy food but I’m aware that it might not be to everyone’s taste, so adding it at the end works really well).
This soup is so easy to make and is perfect for when your fridge is bare as you only need a few store cupboard ingredients. And you know it’s so good for you with the protein packed lentils, garlic, turmeric and spinach.
I blitzed the soup with a hand blender to make it a little smoother but its entirely up to you.
- 5 spring onions chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1.5 litres boiling water
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 tbsp coconut yogurt per serving
- Fry the spring onions in a large saucepan with the oil for 3-4 minutes, until soft and browning.
- Add the spices and garlic and fry for another couple of minutes then add the juice of 1 lemon.
- Add the lentils, boiling water and stock and cook for 25 minutes (medium heat). When cooked turn off the heat and blitz a little (of fully with a hand blender), then add the spinach and stir to wilt.
- To serve you can top with coconut yogurt and a little extra chilli flakes