Roast Purple Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Soup
How amazing is this colour, what a feast for the eyes. This incredible colour is made by purple sweet potatoes and I was really excited to finally find some. I researched and considered lots of recipe ideas but finally decided to make roast sweet potato and cauliflower soup.
This is such an easy recipe but the flavour is fantastic, I roasted the veg first and it’s definitely worth the extra time and effort. I always love to add texture and crunch as toppings to my soups, so I sliced some of the sweet potatoes thinly to make crisps and reserved some of the roast cauliflower to top the soup. Just delicious.
Purple sweet potatoes are just a delicious as orange ones but they have an extra concentration of antioxidants giving them the amazing colour. Plus they are packed with vitamins C and A, fibre and potassium. Pretty special.
Of course you can make the soup with orange sweet potatoes if you can’t find purple ones and it will be just as delicious.
- For the soup;
- 2 purple sweet potatoes washed and chopped (slice a few thin slices to make crisps)
- 1 head of cauliflower chopped – including the leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- Organic veg stock in 1.5 pints boiling water
To make the soup;
- Pre heat your oven to gas mark 5 (190c).
- Add the chopped and sliced potatoes, cauliflower florets and leaves to a roasting tray then toss to coat them in olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast for aprox 35- 40 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
- Add the onion to a large saucepan with the oil and cook on a medium heat until the onions are soft. Add in the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds then add the roast veg (reserve a few cauliflower florets for garnish).
- Fry for 2-3 minutes then add the veg stock. Blitz the soup with a food processor or hand blender until smooth and creamy. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Great topped with a a few pieces of roast cauliflower, sweet potatoes crisps and gomashio