Roast Carrot, Lentil and Walnut Salad
We’ve recently started ordering an organic box again (I’m not actually sure why we stopped) and I look forward to our weekly delivery of interesting organic veg. Because you don’t know 100% what you’re going to get it means that I need to be a bit more creative to make sure everything is used up and not waste anything – I like a challenge! This week we got lots of pumpkins, squashes and carrots, very autumnal.
I decided to make a lovely warm salad by roasting some carrots and combing them with some puy lentils, walnuts, rocket and figs. They result was so good – the sweet roast carrots work really well with the earthy lentils, crunchy nuts and peppery rocket.
I coated my lentils in my favourite go – to apple cider vinegar salad dressing which I’ve been making for years. It’s perfect with salads, slaws or even steamed veggies.
You could swap the carrots for squash, pumpkin or even parsnip and it would be super delicious.
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 8 whole carrots
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Chilli flakes
- Pinch sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cups cooked puy lentils
- 2 cups rocket
- Handful walnuts
- 1 fig sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp organic cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sweetner – honey, maple syrup, agave
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Coat the carrots in a little olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli flakes and place on a baking tray.
- Roast in the oven on a medium heat for aprox 40 minutes until soft on the inside and a little charred on the outside. Set aside when cooked.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a jar and shake to combine. Add lentils in a bowl and then add enough of the the dressing to coat them.
- To compile the salad; layer the rocket, lentils, carrots, figs and walnuts. Add a little more dressing if you like.