Roast Aubergine with Rainbow Slaw and Pea & Avocado Hummus
It’s a bank holiday weekend – yay! I hope you have some fantastic plans? I think the weather forecast is mixed (do you every get the impression that the forecast is carefully non comitial before the a bank holiday? – But we’re always living in hope in the UK eh?)
Anyway, like millions of others im sure that we will be keen to get the BBQ on the go if we do see some sun! Now this can be a bit trickier for us plant eaters if you dont want a dubious store bought veggie burger.
What I like to do is make tons of salad, dips and then roast veggies on the BBQ. My favs are the usual; peppers, courgette, sweetcorn and so course aubergine – which I think is the best way to eat it.
So here’s my griddled aubergine with a huge delicious crunchy veggie slaw and creamy avocado and pea hummus recipe which we will be eating this weekend if its sunny – fingers crossed. I would also make my classic hummus, red pepper dip, flatbread etc to make big BBQ feast for friends or even just for Andy and I because I love having leftover dips for the next day. So good!
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- Pea & Avocado ingredients;
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup peas defrosted by running them under a hot tap.
- Handful mint and coriander
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Aubergines sliced in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Slaw ingredients;
- 1/2 red cabbage sliced
- 2 beetroots sliced thinly
- 1 pepper chopped up
- 3 spring onions chopped
- Handful seeds – I used sunflower and pumpkin
- Handful rocket
- Dressing ingredients;
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- To make the avocado and pea hummus;
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Set aside
- To make the rainbow slaw;
- Add all the chopped veggies to a large bowl and mix.
- Pop the dressing ingredients into a jar with a lid. Close the jar then shake to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the veg and stir to combine.
- To make the griddled aubergine;
- Heat your griddle pan, large frying pan or BBQ to a medium to high heat.
- Coat the sliced aubergines in a little olive oil them place them skin side down on the griddle.
- Turn the aubergines every few minutes until the they are lovely and charred on the outside and soft in the inside.
- Top the aubergines with the avocado and pea hummus and lots of crunchy slaw