Raw Lemon Cheesecake (Vegan & Gluten free)
I’ve had the best week! To my shock and amazement I won The Soil Association BOOM Award for best food blog of the year…which is such on honour. I couldn’t have been more surprised when I heard my name read out (as I am still) but I’m so happy and excited that my little blog and passion for healthy food and taking pics obsessively has a few fans!
So back to the food, I made this super delicious raw lemon cheesecake before we went to Spain and honestly it’s incredibly easy to make, contains only natural whole ingredients and has just a little maple syrup to sweeten the lemon topping a little. And just like my lemon bars, I love the combination of creamy and zingy lemony cashew topping with the crunchy nutty base. So good, you’ve got to try this one!
Until a few years ago I wouldn’t have allowed myself to eat this deliciously tasty and wholesome cake, which is another thing to be happy and grateful for. When I reflect on just how much my attitude to food has changed over the last few years, as for so long I had a huge list of ‘forbidden’ or ‘bad’ foods which I didn’t allow myself to eat which included; high fat, processed, sugar, most fruits, high carb etc etc. To put it in context although I have always been really focused on ‘healthy’ eating and eaten loads of veg and pulses I still had lots of rules which meant I had a somewhat restricted diet.
It’s so liberating to know that as long as I’m eating real food and yes this can include healthy fats, natural sugars, healthy carbs – it will nourish my body and give it what it needs.
Thank you for all your support, love Niki xxx
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- Topping ingredients;
- 2 cup soaked organic cashews (at least four hours)
- Juice 2.5 lemons
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or essence
- Zest 1 unwaxed organic lemon
- Base ingredients;
- 2/3 cup organic almonds
- 1/2 cup organic desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsp Organic buckwheat groats
- 8 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- Pinch sea salt
- To make the base blitz the almonds in your food processor until you get a crumb like consistency. Add in the dates, almond butter, buckwheat, coconut and salt and blend again until everything combines. The mix should stick together between your fingers.
- Add the mixture to your a pie tin. (I used a 10 inch pie tin). Press down firmly with you hands (don’t press the mix up the sides).
- Pop the tray in the freezer while you make the filing.
- Wash out your food processor or high speed blender then add the cashews then blitz until the cashews are super creamy.. This may take a few minutes and you will need to scrape the sides a few times.
- Add in the lemon juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, vanilla and lemon zest. Blitz again until combined well.
- Remove the base from the freezer then top with the lemony mix. Return to the freezer to firm up – at least an hour.
I may be compensated for endorsing, recommending or reviewing products or ingredients and / or some links on this page may contain affiliate links which helps support my work in bringing you tasty healthy vegan recipes. All endorsements, recommendations, products and ingredients are ones that I personally use and love.