Quick Green Lentil Stew with Super Greens
This is my recipe for quick green lentil stew with super greens, it’s made out of store cupboard and fridge staples and can literally be cooked in 20 minutes.
I made this recipe with the Soil Associations Organic September campaign in mind which is all about providing simple ways to incorporate more organic foods into your diet in easy and affordable ways.
Although I would usually use dried lentils as they are the most cost effective way to eat them I think that using tinned organic lentils (or beans) are a healthy shortcut to a wholesome and substantial meal in minutes.
I love the earthy comforting lentils combined with the little kick of chili, super healthy greens and lemon juice – perfect for when the weather is getting colder.
I’ve topped my stew with some leftover spinach pesto which is just delicious (but optional). Other delicious toppings would be; pine nuts, olives, capers, or fresh herbs. I’m more than happy to eat this satisfying stew on its own but would be amazing with rice, quinoa, or chunks of bread.
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil – I used Coconut Merchant
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 x cans organic green lentils
- 4 organic plum tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/2 pint water
- 1 tbsp organic veg stock
- 3 handfuls greens (spring, spinach or kale)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Spinach pesto
- Fry the onions with the coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat until they have softened, add in the garlic and chilli flakes and fry for a minute further.
- Add in the lentils (with their water), the chopped tomatoes, water, veg stock and lemon juice and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes then add in the leafy greens. Stir into the stew until they wilt.
- Top with pesto and more chilli flakes. Great with wholegrain rice, quinoa or flatbreads.