Quick Banana & Raspberry Crumble (Vegan)
What do you do when you have lots of very ripe spotty bananas?
Well, firstly I made an unbelievably delicious breakfast – banana and peanut butter porridge with caramelised bananas. But then what?
Of course the obvious things spring to mind; banana bread, muffins, my fav banana flapjacks. But then a fellow blogger suggested crumble and I immediately remembered my favourite primary school pudding – Banana & jam crumble. In fact I think it’s the only food I liked in primary school amongst the soggy veg and corned beef! I was a very fussy eater, disliked meat and traditional English food so it was a difficult period in terms of food! I survived on peanuts and french fancies for a few years I think, thank goodness I discovered my love of veggies!
But that banana & jam crumble – oh I can almost still taste it. Warm, sweet, caramelised bananas, crunchy topping and I think the jam was either strawberry or raspberry. Just heaven.
Never one to mess about I decided to try and recreate said crumble with ingredients I had to hand. No jam unfortunately but I had some raspberries so in they went and they worked really well – slightly sharp against the deliciously sweet bananas. And the topping is so simple! Nuts, some oat bran (oats would also be great & use gluten free if preferred), coconut, seeds and some coconut oil with a little maple syrup. The result – a gorgeously nutty, crunchy & wholesome topping.
I also decided to make a quick raspberry compote to pop on top of the crumble for an extra tart & fruity topping, then served with some creamy coconut yogurt. Pure comfort pudding heaven.
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
- 120g mixed nuts
- 50g organic Oat bran
- 2 tbsp seeds
- 2 tbsp organic desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 very ripe bananas chopped
- Handful raspberries
- Raspberry compote;
- 1 cup raspberries
- Splash of water
- Maple syrup – optional
- To serve;
- Coconut yogurt
- Add the crumble ingredients to your food processor or blender and pulse a few times until you get a rough crumb. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the coconut oil & maple syrup to a pan and heat until the coconut oil is melted. Pour over the crumb mix and stir to coat everything.
- Heat you oven to gas mark 4 and line a medium sized baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the sliced bananas to the bottom to the baking tray and then the raspberries. Top with the crumble mix, covering all the fruit.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the the bananas have caramelised and the crumble is golden and toasted.
To make the compote;
- Add the raspberries to a saucepan with a splash of water and maple syrup (optional).
Hear until the end raspberries have broken down and gooey.
- Delicious served warm out of the oven with raspberry compote & coconut yogurt.