Pumpkin & Chestnut Pie (vegan & gluten free)
This is a super speedy recipe post as its Halloween today and I decided to make Pumpkin Pie this morning!
Why Pumpkin pie? I was inspired by the lovely goodie bag I recieved from Whole Foods at the vegan brunch at cooked for at the weekend. I was such fun cooking along side some amazing brands and talented chef Joey O’Hare for a room full of health bloggers. I loved getting first hand feedback on my chocolate ganache tart. Scary but amazing.
The goodie bag contained some pumpkin pie ingredients including pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin purée. So pumpkin pie had to be done right?
My pumpkin pie has a toasted walnut and buckwheat base for cunch and a creamy pumpkin and chestnut filling. Easy to make, super seasonal and delicious! I hope you like it 💗.
- 2 cups organic walnuts toasted
- 10 large medjool dates or 24 dried dates
- 2 tbsp buckwheat groats
- Pinch sea Salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 cup pumpkin purée – homemade or bought
- 1/2 cup cooked chestnuts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp maple
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Coconut sugar for sprinkling
To make the pumpkin purée;
- Peel the pumpin, cube and add to a pan of boiling water. Cook for 20 minutes or so until tender. Drain, allow to cool and then blitz to a purée.
To make the base;
- Add all the base ingredients to your food processor and blitz until the mix comes together.
- Add the mixture to your a pie tin. (I used a 8 inch loose bottom pie tin greased with some coconut oil). Press down firmly with you hands – press up the sides. Pop in the fridge while you get the filling ready.
To make the filling;
- Clean your food processor then add all the filling ingredients and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the filling onto the bas, smooth into the corners. Sprinkle with coconut sugar then transfer to a pre heated oven (Gas mark 4 177c) for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with coconut cream.