Oat and Banana Thumbprint Cookies with Berry Chia Jam (Vegan & Gluten Free)
After a great day at Stylist Live yesterday where I saw some inspirational ladies talking about health and wellbeing I was feeling extra motivated so decided to make some healthy cookies as a little weekend treat.
These oat, banana cookies with berry chia jam were inspired by a My New Routes recipe – yummy raspberry thumbprint cookies. For my version I’ve added banana for extra natural sweetness and desiccated coconut as I love the combination of oats, banana and coconut.
Have you made chia jam before? If you haven’t your missing out. Here’s a few reasons why is much healthier that shop bought jam; its naturally thickened by the chia seeds, it has dramatically less sugar (just 1 tbsp of maple syrup rather then loads of white sugar) uses fresh raw fruit and and some great protein from the chia seeds. Happy days.
These little treats are vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free. Brilliant on their own or delish with some vegan icecream (so my hubby says!).
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp blueberry powder – I used Arctic berries
- 2 cups organic gluten free oats
- 1/3 cup organic desiccated coconut – I used coconut merchant
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp maca – I used organic burst
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup almonds – crushed a little
- 1 smashed banana
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil – I used coconut merchant
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- To make the chia jam – blitz the blueberries and blackberries in a food processor – remove and place in a jar then add in the maple syrup, blueberry powder and chia seeds. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes so that the chia seeds swell.
- Clean the food processor and add in your oats. Blitz for a few seconds until you get a flour. Add the flour to a big mixing bowl then add in all the other dry ingredients and mix. Add the the banana.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on a very low heat to gently melt it. Add in the maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir everything thoroughly to combine. Wet your hands and roll into balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Flatten the cookies a little and make indents in the middle then pop in dollops of the berry jam.
- Bake in the oven on a medium heat for 20 minutes. Allow to cool a little before munching.