Moussaka – Aubergine and Chickpea Stew with Herby Rice
Middle Eastern food is a strong contender for one of my favourite cuisines. It has everything that I love, tapas style bowls of delicious vegetable dishes, incredible dips (creamy hummus and smoked pepper dip are always good) amazing pulse based dishes and of course big flatbreads to scoop with.
One of my favourites is a gorgeous aubergine and chickpea stew called maghmour or moussaka. The flavor is intensely rich tomatoes with soft aubergine and then a little bit of texture from the chickpeas. It always amazes me how simple ingredients can create such incredible flavours.
I think dishes like this are best eaten with lots of complimentary yet contrasting flavours, so creamy hummus, smoky red pepper dip, crunchy flatbreads and a big rice salad with generous amounts of fresh herbs. The recipe for my lovely herby rice is below and I’ve popped links in for my favorite dips.
My classic tahini dressing is the perfect topping to both the moussaka and my herby rice. I really hope you like my Middle Eastern feast!
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- For the moussaka;
- 2 organic aubergines diced
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 large organic tomatoes – skinned and deseeded of tinned
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp fresh mint – finely chopped
- 1 can organic cooked chickpeas – drained
- For the rice;
- 2 cups cooked rice – brown or white
- 2 big handfuls coriander
- Handful fresh mint
- Handful basil or parsley
- 8 cherry tomatos chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- Zest 1 lemon
- Juice I lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes – optional
- Tahini dressing;
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice 1/2 lemon
For the moussaka;
- Add the aubergines to a large baking tray and toss them in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Roast on for 30 minutes until browned.
- Add the remaining oil to a large pan and add in the onion, fry on a low to medium heat until soft and slightly browning. Add in the garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes, tomtato purée, paprika, aubergine & chickpeas. Cook to aprox 20 minutes. Add water if needed. Finally season with salt and the fresh mint.
For the rice;
- In a large bowl mix the cooked rice with thd herbs, onion, lemon, olive oil and seasonings.
To make the tahini dressing;
- Add all the ingredients to a mini chopper or pestle and mortar and blitz until you get a paste.
- Add more water to get the deserved consistency.