Leftover Stir Fried Sprouts with Quinoa and Charred Avocado
I hope you had a lovely and fun Christmas with your family and friends? We’re having a super relaxing time in Spain and spent the day yesterday cooking, eating and chatting at our friends house. We also went for a gorgeous walk in the mountains after lunch to make some room for dessert!
For our Christmas lunch we had our favourite vegan shepards pie (it was huge so there will be lots of leftovers!), lots of roast veggies and some stir fried sprouts with hazelnuts and pomegranates. So delicious! If you have some leftover sprouts like me might like some inspiration so you can use them up?
My favourite way to eat sprouts is stir frying as its really quick and tasty. But there are so many ways to eat sprouts these days which are much more exciting than boiling them (in my opinion anyway). This is a super quick recipe for stir fried sprouts with quinoa, spinach and charred avocado makes a brilliant quick and healthy protein packed lunch. I charred the avocado here as it wasn’t very ripe, which is a top tip for using unripe avocados (if you just can’t wait like me!) and changes the texture and taste to crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Give it a go you’ll be surprised!
Bye for now from Spain and Merry Christmas to all 💕
Made for my friends at the Soil Association #organicchristmas
- 2 cups organic sprouts chopped in half lengthways
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups organic spinach
- 1/2 avocado sliced length ways
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Sprinkle chilli flakes
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch pink Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- Add the oil and sprouts to your frying pan and fry on a medium heat for a couple of minutes, add in the garlic, spinach and quinoa and fry for a further few minutes until the spinach is wilted. Turn off the heat.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar. Shake to mix then pour in the dressing over the veggies. Toss to coat everything.
- To char your avocado simply place on a hot griddle pan for a few minutes on each side. You may want to brush the avocado with a little oil first to stop it sticking.
- Top the sprout stir fry right your charred avocado, pine nuts (or any nut for crunch), a sprinkle of chilli flakes.