Indulgent Caramel Millionaires Shortbread Slices with Ombar Chocolate (Vegan & Gluten free)
These delicious caramel slices might be one of the best desserts I’ve ever made, the simplicity of the recipe in no way means these decedent slices lack in flavour or texture. They’re ridiculously good.
All you need to do is layer the deliciously nutty almond base, then the gooiest date caramel and then rich dark chocolate – the result is incredibly delicious.
There was a real danger of me wolfing these down immediately so I chopped them up and popped them in the freezer. And the best bit, they can be eaten straight out of the freezer! Colder and more bite – but I LOVE that.
For the top rich chocolate layer I used my favorite Ombar raw chocolate – the 72% in my opinion is just perfect for desserts. Dark but not too bitter. I really hope you enjoy these!
Love, Niki x
To demonstrate just how easy this recipe is (just a matter of layering) I made a little video.
- For the base;
- 1 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 6 medjool dates
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- For the caramel;
- 20 medjool dates
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Chocolate layer;
- 2 bars Ombar 72% chocolate
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Firstly add all the base ingredients in your food processor and blitz until everything comes together.
- Line a tray with baking paper then press the base mix firmly down and into the sides.
Pop in the fridge while you make the caramel.
- Wash the food processor then add the caramel ingredients and blitz until you get a super smooth paste.
- Remove the base from the fridge and spread the caramel over the top. Return to the fridge.
- Break up the chocolate and place in a glass bowl with the coconut oil then very gently melt over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel and then return to the fridge for at least 4 hrs to firm up.
- Slice as desired.
- Can be keep frozen in the freezer .