Indian Crepes and Tomato Chutney with Kenwood
In partnership with Kenwood
I’m excited to have teamed up with Kenwood this January to get creative in the kitchen using the Kenwood Chef.
I’ll be working on a series of recipes with the Kenwood Chef but my first is all about batch cooking. Batch cooking is a brilliant way to get a bit healthier (as many of us are in January) and save some money at the same time – you just need to invest a little time to plan ahead.
One of my favourite things to batch cook is dips, hummus, pesto’s etc. If your fridge is well stocked with delicious sauces and dips meals can be transformed in minutes.
So I decided to make some absolutely delicious Indian gram flour crepes with a gorgeous tomato chutney. You can double or triple the recipe amounts and the batter for the crepes can be made ahead, kept in the fridge ready for when you need it. Perfect for the weekend. The crepes can be topped with my tomato chutney or any other dips. Absolutely delicious as a flatbread replacement.
My tomato chutney has a rich tomato flavour, gorgeous smeared onto the crepes but also delicious as a toast or baked potato topper. It’s really quick to make, simply toast the spices, and allow the tomatoes to cook down a little then blitz in the mini chopper attachment.
I really hope you love these as much as I do.
The Kenwood Chef represents the very best of Kenwood design and engineering. This specific product has been chosen for the masterclass as it allows you to create restaurant quality food with simplicity and versatility at home.
No matter which model you choose, you can push your culinary boundaries further than you ever dreamt of with a selection of over 25 attachments, including pasta rollers and cutters, juicers, food processor attachment, meat grinder, blender and ice cream maker.
- Indian crepes;
- 1 1/4 cups Luke warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cumin seeds
- 1/2 black onion seeds
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Handful fresh coriander
- Tomato chutney;
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 chilli flakes
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
To make the crepes;
- Add the water and olive oil to the Kenwood Chef bowl, then add the gram flour, spices and seasoning.
- Process on speed 5 for around a minute or until all the lumps are out (Alternatively mix thoroughly in a large bowl).
- Pour the batter into a large bowl and add the chopped coriander leaves. Stir to combine then set aside while you make the chutney.
- Add a little oil to the base of a non-stick small frying pan. Add 1/3 cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around the bottom so you get an even crepe.
- Cook on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the crepe and you can lift over to flip easily.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Remove from the pan and place on and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter (makes 5 crepes).
To make the chutney;
1. Add the oil to a small frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Add in the mustard seeds. When they start to pop add in the cumin seeds and chilli flakes, fry for 30 seconds.
2. Add in the garlic and stir for another few minutes, then add in the chopped tomatoes.
3. Cook for a further 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes have cooked down. Add the tamarind, maple syrup and season well.
4. Allow to cool a little then add to the mini chopper glass bowl.
5. Blitz for 1 minute on speed 4 until smooth (you may need to do this in two batches).