Grilled Mushrooms with Spinach & Kale Pesto
I’m writing this post from our place in the mountains in Spain and it’s super hot, by that I mean a meltingly hot 40 degrees! So I’m feeling just a little bit sticky but really relaxed. It’s hard not to be surrounded but the Pyrenees in our sleepy little village.
And it’s my second week of going freelance! So I’ve swapped the safety of my marketing job to follow my foodie passion and enter the completely new world of full time blogging and food consultancy (find out more here). So what does that mean? Well, I’ll be my own boss (hurray), get to work with some amazing brands, be creative, say yes projects which may seem crazy or out of my comfort zone and basically have to work unbelievably hard. But I cant wait and I’m totally up for the challenge!
I will also be planning some more workshops really soon so just let me know if you’re interested in coming along?
When I started my blog and Instagram 18 months ago I would not have dared to hope for this and it’s only been possible because of connecting with you guys. So thank you so much for your support as ever. What will the future hold?
So back to my recipe; my grilled mushrooms with spinach pesto. Super tasty, healthy and of course simple to make. Great as a light dinner with a big salad or served on some of my celeriac mash, cauliflower or broccoli rice as a starter.
Yum! I’m a massive mushroom fan and marinating them in this simple dressing adds tons of flavour. Topped with some of my favourite plant based pesto I think it’s a delicious combination of flavours. I really hope you enjoy, love Niki xx
- For the mushrooms;
- 4 portobello mushrooms cleaned
- Marinade ingredients;
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- For the spinach pesto
- 2 big handfuls organic spinach
- Big Handful organic kale
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a jar, replace the lid and shake to combine.
- Pop the cleaned mushrooms into a tub and pour the marinade over the mushrooms. Let them sit for at least an hour.Pre-heat your grill to hot and then place foil on top of the baking tray and then add your mushrooms. Grill for 10 minutes.
To make the pesto;
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor or high speed blender and blitz until everything is combined to the texture you prefer. You may need to scrape the sides down a few times.
- Finally top the mushrooms with the pesto and toasted pine nuts.
- Great with salad or on bed of veggie mash.