Griddled Aubergine with Tahini Dressing
I’ve just made this griddled aubergine with yummy tahini dressing for my husband as he’s super busy and just a little stressed due to the fact that he has his yoga teacher practical exam tomorrow. It’s one of his favourite lunches and the perfect stand by meal so we always have aubergines in the fridge. It’s really easy to make, light and healthy and packs a flavour punch.
I know that aubergines aren’t to everyone’s taste, I’m guessing it’s a texture thing? I love them and I think that griddling them so that they get a rich smoky flavour is the perfect way to cook aubergines – delicious!
The tahini dressing is delicious and really versatile, great on salads, roast cauliflower, baked sweet potato, and on this griddled aubergine. I like adding loads of lemon juice and two cloves of garlic as I’m a garlic fiend and like a lot of garlic but you may want to start with one clove.
Topping the charred griddled aubergine with my tahini dressing, toasted pine nuts and pomegranate seeds gives it a lovely Middle Eastern flavour.
You may need to griddle them a little longer if you have larger aubergines (test that the middle is cooked before taking off the heat).
- 1 aubergine sliced in half
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 tbsp. pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch salt Himalayan salt and black pepper
- Rub the olive oil over the aubergine and then place on the hot griddle pan. Turn frequently so that both sides get nice and charred. The aubergine will take around 20 minutes to cook through.
- To make the tahini dressing – add all the ingredients to a mini chopper and blitz (if you don’t have a mini chopper crush the garlic in a pestle and mortar and then add all the ingredients to a jar and shake to combine.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan for 2-3 minutes until they are starting to brown (careful they get burnt easily!)
- To serve; top the aubergine with the toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and tahini dressing.