Griddled Aubergine with smashed Avocado
I have an abundance of veg in my fridge which needs eating asap so a bit of creativity was needed ie I have some super ripe (nearly over ripe) tomatoes and an avocado which won’t last until tomorrow. It always upsets me when an avocado has gone too ripe and is starting to go brown grrr.
So, I decided to adapt my griddled aubergine with tahini dressing recipe and make this quick and easy griddled aubergine with avocado and green dressing last night.
It might be one of my new favourite quick meals as I think the combination of charred aubergine and creamy smashed avocado is heavenly. I also created two delicious dressings; a zingy lemon, basil and garlic dressing and a rich and dense reduced balsamic glaze.
This is packed full of fresh, healthy and summery mediterranean flavours and can be whipped up in 15 minutes flat. I hope you like it!
Good on its own, with a big green salad or my quinoa salad for a more substantial evening meal.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin for immediate updates!
- 1 aubergine sliced lengthways (into about 4 slices)
- Olive oil for rubbing
- Dressing ingredients:
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Handful basil
- Balsamic glaze ingredients:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Smashed avocado:
- 1 avocado
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- 1 tomato sliced
- Heat your griddle pan to hot and then add the sliced aubergines (rub a little olive oil on both sides first). Keep turning until nice and charred on both sides and cooked through.
- Whilst doing that add the balsamic and honey to a saucepan and bring to the boil briefly before turning it down to a simmer. Let this simmer for around 8-10 minutes until it thickens up then set aside.
- To make the green dressing pop all the ingredients into a mini chopper (or pestle and mortar if you don’t have one) and blitz until you get a lovely green sauce.
- Mash your avocado in a bowl with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Finally layer the aubergines then the smashed avocado, then tomatoes, and drizzle with the basil dressing and balsamic glaze.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.