Fresh Asian Salad with Peanut Tofu & Rice Noodles
All this crazy hot weather calls for something fresh and light. I don’t know about you but I always start thinking about citrus flavors and in particular asian salads with tons of crunchy raw veg, fresh herbs and zingy dressings.
I know that for some people it feels wrong eating salad in winter or big bowls of comfort food in the summer – But if my body tells me I need raw food when it’s cold I’ll do it. And I always want big pots of warming curries and soups. That said – we’ve had such crazy amounts of sun this week that even for me who thrives in warm weather, it’s taken its toll. So I decided to make this lovely light and fresh crunchy salad with delicious peanutty marinated tofu and silky rice noddles. It totally hit the spot!
My delicious salad is made from crunchy carrots, cucumbers, spring onions and lots fresh herbs. Then served with rice noodles, crispy marinated peanut tofu with toasted peanuts & cashews. The combination of crunchy veg, gooey noodles and crispy nutty tofu is seriously good.
Depending on how much time you have you can give the tofu a quick marinade – around 30 minutes or if you have more time you can marinade overnight for extra flavor – but who has time for that 😉.
And of course you need the add some crunch so I topped everything with handfuls of toasted peanuts & cashews.
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1 block of organic firm Tofu
- Marinade ingredients;
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tbsp peanut organic crunchy butter
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp siracha
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 150g cooked rice noodles
- Salad ingredients;
- Two big handfuls Cabbage
- 1 carrot julienned
- 12 Cucumber cut into strips
- 3 Spring onions sliced
- Handful Coriander
- Handful Mint
- Dressing ingredients;
- Juice 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp Coconut sugar
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 red chilli sliced
- Handful toasted peanuts & cashews
- Firstly unwrap the tofu from its packaging and wrap in foil. Place on a plate with some heavy chopping boards on top to squeeze out the excess moisture. Leave for at least 10 minutes.
- To make the marinade; add all the ingredients to a container and mix throughly.
- When the tofu has been pressed, unwrap it and cube. Add to the tub with the marinade and mix to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Overnight ideally.
- Cook the rice noodles as per instructions (you can use dry or wok ready). Allow to cool
- To make the salad simply chop all the veg and add to a large bowl. Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a jar and stir or shake to combine. Add the dressing & rice noodles to the salad and toss to coat everything.
- Heat a frying pan to medium and add a tsp of coconut oil to the pan. Remove the marinated tofu from the tub and add to the pan along with the marinade. Fry for a few minutes, turning carefully until warmed through and slightly crispy.
- Divide the salad between two bowls and top with the tofu, toasted nuts and more herbs.