Flourless Chocolate, Almond and Chestnut Brownie Cake (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Before I get onto my recipe (and oh my it’s a good one!!!) Just a quick word about the lovely evening I’ve just had as I’m writing this on the way back from an inspirational evening in London at Come Dine with Eve. A panel discussion with the most inspiring female chefs talking about their careers, inspiration and the experiences of women in the restaurant trade. The impressive line up included; Sophie Michell, Ana Morris, Anna Hansen, Chantelle Nicolson, Claire Clark and Lisa Allen – just wow! I’m not sure about you but nothing inspires me more than strong and courageous women following their foodie passion.
I think there’s something a little magical about this recipe. I’m not exaggerating when I say I absolutely love this chocolate brownie cake. For me, it has just the right combination of dense chocolatey texture, sweetness from the dates and gorgeous almond flavour. Imagine a cross between a brownie, torte and the richest chocolate cake and you’re somewhere close to the texture of this amazing dessert.
The secret ingredient is chestnuts, which keep the brownie really moist and work so well with the cacao and almonds. As ever my cake is dairy, gluten and refined sugar free but definitely not lacking in deliciousness.
As a final flourish I topped my cake with a simple cashew cream and deliciously sweet English strawberries. I really hope you like this recipe as much as me. Love Niki xx
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1/3 cup melted organic coconut oil
- 1 cup cooked chestnuts
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 9 pitted Medjool dates
- 100g good quality dairy free chocolate, melted
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp almond essence
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or sugar for choice
- For the cashew cream;
- 2 cups soaked cashews
- Juice 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
- Pinch sea salt
- Pre heat your oven to gas mark 4/325F
- Pop the the coconut oil and chestnuts in your food processor and blitz for 1-2 minutes. Add in the dates and blitz again, then finally the melted chocolate, ground almonds, cacao, baking powder, almond & vanilla essence, salt and coconut sugar and pulse again until everything is well combined (Please note, the batter is super thick).
- Spoon the batter into your cake tin. I used a 21cm loose bottomed tin (I wet my hands and pressed the mix into the sides).
- Bake for 35 minutes on gas mark 4/325ºF until the edges are getting a little brown.
- To make the cashew cream;
- Pop all the ingredients into your cleaned food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Add a little water if the consistency is a little thick.
- Allow to cool and then top with the cashew cream and strawberries.