Creamy Buckwheat Parfait with Rhubarb Chia Jam
I’m writing this in a taxi in London (I literally snatch any few minutes I can to write up recipes!). It’s post lunch – I’ve just had some delicious quinoa and red rice veggie summer rolls in Wholefoods and I have a raw vegan passionfruit pot waiting in my bag for when I get on the train – happy days!
Heres two recipes in one post – a smooth and creamy buckwheat parfait breakfast bowl and some rhubarb chia jam made with some of the first seasonal rhubarb which is appearing in the shops. Eaten together and I’m in breakfast heaven.
I’ve been meaning to post a buckwheat parfait recipe for a while, if you don’t know what it is its soaked buckwheat groats (you know how much I love buckwheat) blended with banana, almond milk and extras to make a smooth and creamy parfait. A great alternative to oats if you want a gluten free and nutritious breakfast, or a smoothie bowl if you want something more filling.
Most of my foodie friends on Instagram are dedicated buckwheat parfait fans so I’m a little late to the party but better late than never eh? You can add any fruits you want to make your favourite combination – pretty much everything works!
The Rhubarb chia jam is an adapation of my raspberry chia jam snd I think it works really well. I did add some coconut sugar to counter the natural sharpness of the rhubarb but much less then shop bought jam. I think the ginger, orange and rhubarb flavours combine beautifully, I hope you do to.
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 2/3 cup buckwheat
- 1 tbsp organic cider vinegar
- 2 small or 1 large ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1/4 tsp almond essence
- For the rhubarb and ginger chia jam;
- 2 cups rhubarb chopped up
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- Juice 1/2 orange
- Knob ginger
- 2 tbsp chia seeds – I used organic burst
- 1/4 water
- Add the buckwheat groats to a jar and add the apple cider vinegar. Cover with water, cover the top and refrigerate all night.
- Add to a small saucepan and simmer on a low heat for around 5 minutes until the rhubarb is starting to breakdown
- Add the chia and water to the pan and simmer for another 10 minutes
- Drain the buckwheat and rinse then add it to your food processor or blender and blitz along with all the other ingredients- For a few minutes to make sure it’s super smooth and creamy.
- Top with the rhubarb chia jam