Courgette Spaghetti with Vegan Kale Pesto
Yippee summer has finally arrived! I’m writing this at 10pm and it’s still boiling, I’m upstairs writing this and Andy is still outside planting loads of veggies! We’ll soon have; cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, more herbs, spinach, rocket, radish, beetroot and carrots. Happy days! I don’t think there is anything more tasty and good for you than home grown veg. I can take no credit of course but will reap all the rewards.
This super hot weather calls for something light, fresh and really healthy, so time to get the spiralizer out! This recipe has a double dose of kale – lightly sautéd kale which is stirred into the cougetti and my delicious kale pesto.
I’ve added some edamame for extra protein and pumpkin seeds for a tasty crunch. If you want to keep this completly raw you can use Baby Kale which doesn’t need to be cooked.
- 1 courgette spiralized
- 2 cups kale
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup edamame beans defrosted by running them under a hot tap.
- Handful rocket leaves
- For the Kale Pesto:
- 4 cups kale
- 1 cup walnuts
- Handful basil leaves
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice and zest 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Spiralize the courgette and add to a large bowl.
- Fry the kale in a frying pan with the sesame oil and sauté for 2 minutes, then add to the bowl.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, edamame, rocket to the courgette and kale.
- To make the kale pesto – Through everything into food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Add a little water to the kale pesto to loosen then add to the bowl, finally squeeze in the lemon juice and toss everything so that the courgetti is coated in the pesto.