Choc, almond & banana granola (gluten and refined sugar free)
Hey there, I feel like I’ve fallen a little behind with my blog posts as my new freelancing life is amazing but it’s a bit trickier to manage timings ie if a job comes in you need to jump on it. So from a quietish first few weeks it’s now gone a bit crazy and I’m happily juggling lot’s of things again. Recipes recipes everywhere!
And two hugely exciting things have happened in the last week; firstly I’m working on my book proposal (hurray) and secondly I was filmed last Friday by a super cool London start up called Try.be. It’s an app where people can buy and sell home cooked food, such a great idea! Plus they are very lovely, we had an afternoon of filming, cooking and chatting. But guys how crazy is it watching yourself speak, never good! Well, weird to say the least!
Anyway, this is actually an old recipe which I developed ages ago, took some pics then relalised they were BAD. Very very happy to have made this delicious chocolate and banana granola again though, I mean who wouldn’t? I’m in love with the flavour combination – raw cacao, chunky almonds and sweet bananas are seriously good! And the granola is super crunchy because of the buckwheat – happy days!
As usual its vegan and no refined sugars, but it’s packed with seeds, coconut, almonds, oats, spices and raw cacao. Chocolatly but definitely not too chocolatly.
Be warned this stuff is addictive and makes a perfect little ‘nibble upon snack’ when you happen pass them in the kitchen! And super delicious with almond milk or coconut yogurt. Topped with some berries and viola. Enjoy xxx
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 medium ripe banana’s mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cups organic gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened toasted coconut
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup raw cacao
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas mark 4/350F.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat then add in the coconut syrup, mashed banana’s and almond essence and stir to combine.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Add the wet mix to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Line a baking try with parchment paper and then tip the mix out and flatten out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until starting to brown. Carefully flip over on the tray and return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes (until you get a nice brown colour).
- Allow to cool before breaking into smaller chunks before storing in airtight containers.