Cherry Chia Seed Jam
Love jam but worried about the sugar content? Try this chia seed jam! Chia seeds are a great way to thicken jam without using pectin or a ton of sugar. You can use any fruit but I particularly like to use cherries. You can use your sweetener of choice such as maple syrup, agave or honey.
The chia seeds make the jam really thick and luxurious – sweet, sticky jammyness! (chia seeds are super good for you as they are naturally high in fibre, protein and anti-oxidants!)
This jam is really delicious on fresh toast, I used this jam as a topping for my cherry crumbles. Delish!
- 3 cups pitted cherries
- 2.5 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Pit the cherries and chop a little.
- Add pitted cherries and maple syrup/agave into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 10 mins, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chia seeds and cook until thickened, about 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract.