Caramelised Onion, Tomato & Tofu Feta Pizza
What food makes you happy? For that matter should food even make you happy or sad?
Food can be linked to comfort, happy occasions, self image, hunger, self control (or lack of it), feelings of guilt, nourishment, health, and much more. All very complex and completely individual.
For me I think it’s been all of the above and continues to be a moveable feast. What’s amazing though is that documenting and taking pics of my food has actually helped me understand and demistify my relationship with food. Being part of a food community of bloggers and Instagramers has also helped enormously.
Of course, this post is actually about a pizza recipe and I don’t usually ramble as it’s hard for me to convey my feelings in writing. I actually find it much easier to talk about or try and convey in images. But it just popped out today, must be feeling thoughtful.
Anyway, this pizza makes me happy. Happy because I in no way feel guilty about eating it as I once would. Also that it’s quick, tasty, fun and that it’s packed with super delicious and healthy ingredients. The sauce for my pizza is sweet, savoury and slightly spicy which works incredibly well with the creamy tofu and fresh peppery rocket.
The base is made from my favourite buckwheat flour of course, but you could use whatever flour you prefer. I have also listed lots more topping ideas below.
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomato sliced
- Splash water
- Sea salt
- Chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Tofu feta – I used organic fermented
- Other topping ideas;
- Toasted Pinenuts
- Roast Veg
Flatbread Pizza Base
- To make the buckwheat flatbread; pre-heat a griddle pan (or frying pan) so that its nice and hot.
- In a bowl mix the flour, oil, baking powder, salt & pepper and then add the water. Mix to form a dough and knead a little so that it comes together and then divide into two.
- On a floured chopping board roll out the dough and then place on a griddle pan (griddle pans work the best as you get lovely charred stripes on the flatbread but a frying pan also works).
- The flatbread will literally cook in a couple of minutes, simply flip it over when the underside is starting to char and cook on the other side a minute or so longer.
To make the pizza sauce;
1. Add the olive oil & oinion to a large frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Fry for aprox 8-10 minutes until soft and browning.
2. Add in the garlic and stir for another few minutes, then add in the chopped tomatoes.
3. Add a splash of water then simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper & chilli flakes.
To make the pizza
- Griddle you flatbread them top with lots of pizza sauce, tofu feta and peppery rocket.