Buckwheat Pancakes with hummus
I have recently started to experiment using different flours to make both flatbreads & and pancakes, here are my reasons for this;
1. I love flatbreads and I’m always trying to create the perfect flatbread (still work in progress!).
2. The nutritional benefits of different flours and grains exceed wheat flour in my opinion. buckwheat flour contains more protein which is great if you are a vegan or vegetarian.
3. It’s really convenient and cost effective to have flour rather than pre made bread as we never eat the whole loaf!
Buckwheat pancakes are my favourite – a cross between a pancake and flatbread. I regularly eat them for breakfast with whatever dips I have in the fridge. It also seems to impress my friends when I make them in the morning with homemade hummus, yay!
IngredientsTo make the pancakes
- 1/2 cup of organic buckwheat flour (I like Doves Farm)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Cumin seeds
- Smashed avocado
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Toasted pine nuts ( Tip -Dry fry the pine nuts until slightly browned)
- Florette Baby Kale/ Rocket
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Put the flour and other dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the middle and add the olive oil.
- Gradually pour in the water, mixing with a spoon or whisk, until you have a batter like consistency.
- Heat a small/pancake pan until very hot, brush with olive oil and pour in the batter. This should make a thick pancake.
- Lower the heat slightly and allow the flatbread to firm up before turning and browning the other side.
- Remove from the pan and top with all the delicious toppings