I think I initially got the recipe for beetroot hummus from River Cottage Everyday – Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstal (good book!) and have played around with it loads since, so here’s my version.
If you love beetroot you will love this beetroot hummus! Its super tasty and is really easy to make and goes really well with my buckwheat flatbreads and crunchy slaw.
As its made of store cupboard staples its also a fab standby as it can by whipped up in minutes when dips are needed!.
- 200g of cooked beetroot or 1 pack of organic vac packed beetroot
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbs tahini
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- Hand full of toasted walnuts (or hazelnuts)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- Pink Himalayan sea & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 and then place your nuts on a baking tray to toast slightly (this should take aprox 5 minutes, keep your eye on them to make sure they don’t burn). Allow to cool.
- If using pre cooker beetroot drain the beetroots and then tip them into your blender.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin seeds, nuts and olive oil.
- Blitz until smooth (aprox 2 minutes)
- Season to taste