Beetroot Buckwheat Pancakes with hummus and red cabbage slaw
These beetroot buckwheat pancakes are an adaptation of my delicious buckwheat pancakes, the idea came to me this morning as I was scanning through my Instagram feed I spotted some beetroot crepes. I decided to experiment and add some beetroot to my breakfast pancakes.
The addition of beetroot is amazing! Of course I love beetroot and would be happy to add it to most things but this really does work well. The pancakes become even moister with a delicious beetroot sweet but earthy flavour.
I played with my pancake recipe a little; reduced the buckwheat flour to a 1/3 cup and added in 1/3 cup of grated beetroot.
The colour is amazing, bright pink and super vibrant. I topped the beetroot pancakes with my scrummy homemade hummus and crunchy red cabbage slaw. Yum!
IngredientsTo make the pancakes
- 1/3 cup of organic buckwheat flour (I like Doves Farm)
- 1/3 cup grated beetroot
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Cumin seeds
- Hummus (see recipe)
- Red cabbage slaw
- Cherry tomatoes
- Put the flour and other dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the middle and add the olive oil.
- Grate in the beetroot, mix then gradually pour in the water, mixing with a spoon or whisk, until you have a batter like consistency.
- Heat a small/pancake pan until very hot, brush with olive oil and pour in the batter. This should make a thick pancake.
- Lower the heat slightly and allow the flatbread to firm up before turning and browning the other side.
- Remove from the pan and top with all the delicious toppings