Beetroot and Coconut Curry – Organic Unboxed Challenge
I was so excited to recieve my Organic Unboxed box last week as part of a great campaign to raise awareness of eating organic. I’m passionate about eating organic whenever possible so I jumped at the chance participate in the challenge!
My box contained a huge variety of organic goodies; veggie staples such was onions, garlic, leeks and beetroots, organic spelt flour, brown rice, stock, olive oil, pasta, and even some amazing organic gin.
So the challenge; create a delicious meal out of the mystery goodies… I was totally up for the challenge!
I immediately decided to create a beetroot curry, which combines my love of curry and my love to beetroot. And the result is a gloriously red and delicious beetroot and coconut curry served with organic sesame rice and crunchy toasted nuts. It tasted heavenly…
Check out the wonderful contents of my Unboxed box!
And just a few reasons to eat organic (apart from the fact that it tastes great!);
- Organic crops are exposed to fewer pesticides
- Organic farming is great for farmers and more environmentally friendly
- Recent research has shown that organic crops are up to 60% higher in a number of key antioxidants
- Organic may sometimes cost a little bit more, but the benefits make it totally worth it!
Heres the amazing Madeleine Shaw with some more about the campaign and the unboxed challenge;
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 4 raw organic beetroot
- 2 tbsp organic olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 organic red onion chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 knob ginger grated
- 1 can organic reduced fat coconut milk
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- 2 big handfuls organic spinach
- 1 cup organic indica brown rice
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 handful of peanuts and cashews
- Cut the stalks off the beetroot and add to a pan of boiling water. Simmer for an hr and then let the beetroots cool. Remove the skins and slice into chunks.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat then add in the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Fry for a few minutes until they sizzle and pop.
- Add in the onion, turmeric, chilli flakes, garlic and ginger and turn down the heat. Fry for 10 minutes or so until the onion is soft.
- Add in the coconut milk, beetroot, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Turn up the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes then add in the spinach. Stir to wilt.
- Toast the peanuts and cashews in a dry pan for 10 minutes until toasted.
- Cook at the rice as per instructions on the back of pack – aprox 20 minutes. Add the sesame oil and cumin seeds to a small frying pan then fry the cumin on a medium heat for a minute or so until fragrant. Add in the rice and stir to combine. Season well.
- Add the peanuts and cashews to a hot dry saucepan and dry roast them for a few minutes until toasted. Keep you eye on them as they burn easily. Take off the heat.
- Serve with curry with the rice, then top with coriander and toasted nuts