Banana, Date and Blueberry Flapjacks
I created these banana, date and blueberry flapjacks very early the other morning for a charity cake sale at work. They were a bit of a last minute thing but they turned out great, way beyond my expectations.
My place of work is a nut free zone, so I needed to make something without nuts, now this is very very difficult for me as I add nuts almost everything (for protein, crunch and just because they’re delicious!) so although it pained me to do it, they are completely nut free.
The recipe is an adaptation of my banana flapjack recipe and I’ve added lots of seeds and coconut flakes to make up for the lack of nuts.
I sweetened the flapjacks by blitzing dates to make a date paste instead of maple syrup or honey – I’m not sure what I would do without the amazing medjool date! Such a versatile and delicious ingredient, providing natural gooey sweetness to so many sweet treats.
Anyway these are really tasty!
- 6 medjool dates
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 sesame, pumpkin and sunflower
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 3 banana mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (I used Lucy Bee)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Seeds and coconut flakes to sprinkle
- Add the dates and water to a mini chopper and blitz to a paste
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl, then add the banana, date paste and almond milk.
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan on a low heat, when melted add to the bowl. Mix everything thoroughly. The mix should be slightly wet.
- Greece a baking tray with a little coconut oil and then add the mix, pressing into the sides.
- Press a few blueberries into the top of the mixture and then sprinkle over some coconut flakes and seeds.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (gas mark 6), for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a little before dividing into squares