Banana Cacoa and Buckwheat Cookies – Vegan and Gluten Free
Inspired by the gorgeous rye and cacao cookies I had at Copenhagen airport I created these banana, cacao and buckwheat cookies. Ok so I’ve used buckwheat instead of rye because I love it and added banana to make them lower fat and add natural sweetness but I think I’ve captured the essense.
You probably know how much I like buckwheat? It’s my favourite grain as I love it’s lovely nutty flavour, high protein content and as an added bonus it’s gluten free. I use it to make pancakes and flatbreads regularly however I don’t usually use it to make sweets but I thought the texture and flavour would work really well in these cookies. So here it is my banana, buckwheat, raw cacao cookies with tahini caramel. Happy days!!
These deliciously moist and cunchy cookies are packed full of healthy ingredients and naturally gluten free, you could also omit the nut butter if you wanted a nut free cookie.
The tahini caramel sauce adds some sweetness and nuttyness which is so good! The caramel would also be amazing mixed into porridge or nice cream.
These cookies are delicious on their own but I think they would be even better with some coconut yogurt.
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut syrup – I use coconut merchant (you can also use maple syrup to honey)
- 2 tbsp nut butter – almond or peanut
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 buckwheat grouts
- Pinch sea salt
- Tahini caramel;
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix all the cookie ingredients in a bowl and then dollop on a lined baking tray. Will make around 8 cookies.
- Bake in the oven on a medium heat for 15 minutes then take them out to cool.
- To make the tahini caramel add the tahini, dates and water to a mini chopper abd then blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle the cookies with the tahini caramel. You can dip them in the caramel as well.