Banana Bread Peanut Butter Donuts (Vegan and Gluten free)
For the first time in ages I’ve been at home for the whole weekend and I love it. It means I can cook and bake and try some new recipes. I’m really excited about these banana bread peanut butter donuts, they’re so good! Well, what could be better than banana bread and peanut butter?
I’ve never really been into the sugar laden shop bought donuts but they always look so pretty so I wanted my make my own healthy version using natural ingredients – and I’m not disappointed these are yummy – sweet and squiggy from the banana’s with a hint of peanut butter. The great thing is that not only are they vegan but also naturally gluten free as I used buckwheat flour. The buckwheat flour makes them deliciously dense which I love but if you’d prefer a slightly lighter donut you can use regular flour.
I made my donuts using a mini donut mold which I bought from Amazon, it arrived in the week and I couldn’t wait to try it out. It worked so well and the donuts cooked in minutes.
I decided to top them in two ways; firstly by adding a little coconut sugar and crushed walnuts to the bottom of the mold before adding in the mix so that it caramelises during baking and secondly dipped into a pink glaze made from raspberries, coconut oil and maple syrup. I think they look really pretty and taste delicious!
I had some mix left over so I popped the excess into baking cases and made some muffins which I then topped with some cunchy peanut butter and toasted coconut flakes. Amazing.
I hope you like this my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- A few crushed walnuts
- Raspberry glaze;
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Sprinkle freeze dried raspberries
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix, add in the banana, coconut oil, almond milk and peanut butter and mix everything well to combine.
- Rub a little coconut oil in the donut molds the sprinkle a little coconut sugar and crushed walnuts into half of the molds.
- Spoon 2-3 tbsp’s of the mix into the molds then bake for 12-13 minutes on a medium heat. Add to cool a little before popping them out of the molds.
- If you have some extra mix like me pop it into some muffin cases lined, then place in a cake tray and bake for aprox 18 minutes. Remove, allow to cool and then top with some chunky peanut butter and toasted coconut.
- To make the pink glaze; gently melt 1 tbsp coconut oil with 1 tsp maple syrup in a saucepan. Hold a sieve over the saucepan and squish the raspberries through so that the seeds stay in the sieve. Stir to combine then dip the donuts without the walnuts in the glaze. Sprinkle with freeze fried raspberries.