Banana blueberry buckwheat pancakes with blueberry compote, coconut yogurt and toasted walnuts.
I’m back with some more pancake inspiration, this time they are super fruity with bananas and juicy blueberries all topped off with gorgeous blueberry compote and lovely toasted walnuts.
The banana’s add some natural sweetness which I love and nothing beats the pop of a juicy bursting blueberry.
You can find their nutritional value and comment from Will Hawkins – Nutritionist with the Push Doctor. See below.
I made these deliciously healthy pancakes in collaboration with Push doctor. If you haven’t heard of Push Docter they are an line service enabling you to get access to GP advice or a consultation within minutes. A great solution if you don’t have time to get to the doctors surgery. All NHS commissioned.
You can find out more here.
Will Hawkins, Nutritionist at Push Doctor, says:
This is a healthy twist to your traditional Pancake Day treat.
As well as tasting great, blueberries are low in calories and a great source of antioxidants, which protect your body against diseases. Meanwhile, bananas are rich in potassium, which lowers your blood pressure and encourages good heart health.
Buckwheat contains more essential vitamins and minerals than white flour, while it’s high in fibre, which is great for your digestion. It’s also packed with protein to help build and repair your muscles.
Walnuts contain healthy omega-3 fats, which help your body absorb vitamins A, D, E and K, and compounds that have been shown to help cope with stress. Sprinkling the finished dish with cinnamon is a great idea, as this is an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory that also helps control blood sugar levels.
Nutritional value (per serving)
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 banana mashed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sweetener of choice – I used coconut honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 handfuls blueberries
1 tbsp melted coconutBlueberry compote;
1 big handful blueberries
1/2 tsp coconut honey
1 tbsp coconut yogurt
- Preheat a pan with a little coconut oil. The pan needs to be quite hot around Gas Mark 6.
- Add the buckwheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla essence, mashed banana, coconut honey (or sweetener of choice) & water to a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine and form a thick batter.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon the mixture a ladle full at a time into the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes until the underside is firm. Carefully flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute or so until the pancakes are cooked through and slightly golden.
- To make the blueberry compote; add the blueberries, water & coconut honey to a saucepan and simmer on a medium heat until the blueberries start to melt down.
- Top the pancakes with coconut yogurt, blueberry compote and crunchy toasted walnuts.