Baked Mushrooms in a rich Tomato sauce, Cashew Cheese and Chickpeas
I created this recipe a few week ago and I’ve already made it three more times since. Firstly to check the recipe, second for a pre Christmas meal with Andys parents and again just because it’s absolutely delicious!
The combination of rich tomato sauce, meaty mushrooms, creamy cashew cheese and chickpeas is just so tasty, I think you’ll love it.
The recipe looks way more complicated than it actually is. It’s essentially a really good tomato sauce (which is also an amazing pizza or pasta sauce), cashew cheese (just blending) and some gorgeous field mushrooms and chickpeas added to a pan and baked.
The chickpeas are entirely optional but do add texture and protein making it a more substantial meal. I personally think they’re worth adding in.
By the way, the other reason I’ve made it so many times is that Andy loves all things mushroom and he’s been requesting it constantly 😂.
I decided to make mine in individual portions or 1 or 2 mushrooms depending on the size of your trays. But you could make it in one big pan just as well.
Great served with chunky fresh sourdough, good olive oil, salad and dips of choice.
IngredientsFor the tomoato sauce;
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 8 organic tomatoes roughly chopped
- Splash water to loosen if needed.
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 6 sundried tomatoes – chopped
- 4 organic red peppers or 2 roast peppers in a jar
- 1 tsp sea Salt
- Big twist black Pepper
- Pinch red chilli flakes – optional
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for at least 1 hour)
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs. dijon mustard
- Pinch Himalayan salt and black pepper
- 1 can organic chickpeas – drained
- 6 field mushrooms – stalks removed
To make the tomato & pepper sauce;
1. Add the olive oil & onion to a large frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Fry for aprox 8-10 minutes until soft and browning.
2. Char-grill the peppers on a griddle pan (high heat) for aprox 10 minutes turning frequently until nice and charred on both sides. Set aside and when they are cool chop quite finely.
3. Add in the garlic and stir for another few minutes, then add in the chopped tomatoes. Add a splash of water, the tomato purée, sundried tomatoes and the roast peppers then simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper & chilli flakes.
To make the cashew cheese;
Add all the ingredients to your food processor then blitz until smooth and creamy.
To make the baked mushrooms;
- You can either make in individual portions of 1 – 2 mushrooms (depending on the size of the mushrooms and your trays) or make one large tray bake.
- Firstly add a layer the of the chickpeas to the base then spoon on some tomato mix.
- Add the mushrooms and press down a little. Spoon 1-2 tbsp of the cashew cheese onto the each of the mushrooms and spread over the surface.
- Finally add all the remaining tomato sauce over the top of the mushrooms and then roast for 45 minutes on a medium heat.