Baked Butternut Squash with Kale Pesto
Don’t you just love Butternut Squash? I certainly do, I think I could eat it everyday. I love it’s wholesome sweetness, and firm texture making it great for roasting.
I’ve got a lot of Butternut Squash recipes. Some of my favourite’s are roast squash with Chickpeas and Tahini dressing, soup, raw in salads and I think it’s very good in spicy dishes like my Butternut Squash, Lentil & Peanut Stew.
This is a my latest Butternut Squash creation, it’s super simple just baked and filled with delicious kale pesto and then sprinkled with dukka and pomegranate seeds.
My kale pesto is amazing – you’ve got to try it. I’ve used walnuts instead of pine nuts this time. Did you know you can create any number of pesto’s by mixing and matching different nuts, seeds, herbs or leaves. Some of my favourites are; spinach and walnuts & rocket and almond. The added secret ingredient is nutritional yeast which adds a deliciously cheesy flavour. Talking of nutritional yeast, I’ve just used it to create the most amazingly ‘cheesy’ cashew cheese – recipe will be up soon!
- 1 large Butternut Squash quartered length ways or 2 small cut in half (seeds removed).
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sprinkle of pink himalayan salt and pepper
- 4 cups kale (tough stalks removed)
- 1 cup walnuts
- Handful basil leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Juice and zest 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Pinch himalyan salt
- Pomegranate seeds
- Crunchy radishes
- Pre -heat your oven to Gas Mark 5/375F. Place the butternut squash on a baking tray and rub with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, until tender inside and caramelised on the outside. When cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
- To make the pesto simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and blitz until smooth. This can be done in a pestle and mortar if you don’t have a food processor.
- Scoop the pesto into the hollow of the squash and top with dukka, pomegranate seeds and any other toppings you like.