Baked Banana and Pecan Granola
My first job after Uni was working in a breakfast cereal company, they made a variety of cereals including muesli’s and granola’s. My particular favourite was an unbelievably delicious Banana Granola. I can distinctly remember the taste of it’s sweet bananay goodness – it’s one those wistful food memories.
So I have been thinking about developing a recipe for Banana Granola for a little while now and been experimenting. This recipe is a cross between my Baked Banana Oatmeal with my Buckwheat Granola and it combines some of my favourite ingredients; crunchy buckwheat, sweet banana’s and delicious pecans.
This granola is really good, it’s deliciously crunchy, sweet from the Banana’s (it’s always best to use really ripe Banana’s as it enhances the flavour) and super nutty. I think it’s best served with coconut yogurt and berries but also makes a perfect/moreish snack.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (I like Lucy Bee)
- 3 large or 4 small banana’s
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 cups organic gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened dedicated coconut
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas mark 4/350F.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Blend the coconut oil, maple syrup, banana’s and almond essence in a blender until smooth.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Add the wet mix to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Line a baking try with parchment paper and then tip the mix out and flatten out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until starting to brown. Carefully flip over on the tray and return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes (until you get a nice brown colour).
- Allow to cool before breaking into smaller chunks before storing in airtight containers.