Almond Porridge with Caramelised Banana’s and Walnuts
I’ve realised that I haven’t posted a breakfast for ages… Which is strange because I post my breakfast on Instagram most days. I suppose I take them for granted a little. So here’s one of my favourite slightly indulgent weekend breakfasts. Rich and gooey almond porridge with caramelised bananas and walnuts – what’s not to love?
I think that something magical happens when you caramise bananas; the melting soft and sweet centre combined with the slightly crispy caramel on the outside. So good!
You may have noticed that I’m slightly addicted to caramelised walnuts at the moment, I love their sweet, nutty savouriness.
I find that the the bananas can stick to the pan a little so my trick is too keep them chunky and let them caramelise on one side before carefully flipping. And the smell is just devine.
You can of course use any nut butter and milk you like. I use chunky peanut butter in this recipe all the time because what can beat the banana peanut butter combo?
I hope you like my recipe; if you recreate it tag on instagram with #rebelrecipes @rebelrecipes for a chance to be featured. Love Niki x
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates above and follow me on Bloglovin!
- Almond porridge;
- 1/3 cup organic gluten free oats
- 1 cup almond milk (a little more if you would like to loosen the porridge at the end).
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Caramelised walnuts;
- 1/3 walnuts 1 tsp coconut oil 1 tsp maple syrup 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Caramelised Banana;
- 1 banana sliced into 2 lengthways
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Caramelise the walnuts by adding the coconut oil, maple syrup and coconut sugar to a small pan and heating on a low heat until everything combines. Add in the nuts and toss thoroughly so that they are well coated.
- Cook for a few minutes until caramelised and nice and toasted. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Add some more oil, maple and coconut sugar to your pan and melt to combine. Add the banana and let it fry and sizzle for a few minutes until caramelised on one side. Carefully flip over so that the other side caramelises.
- Add the oats and almond milk to a saucepan and cook on a low to medium heat until the oats are creamy (you may want to add some maple syrup if you like it a little sweeter – taste and see)
- Top the oats with the caramelised banana and walnuts – seriously delicious!